Movie Recommendation: Only God Forgives

I hope to make movie recommendations a regular feature here on Oh Rocky...at least once a month!  I know how much I appreciate finding out about great movies I might have otherwise missed out on, so I thought it would be a great idea to share some with you guys!  I mean...it would be so majorly selfish of me to keep all the movie magic to myself right?  The types of films I'll share could be anything from animated films to horror films and everything in between.  So let's get started!

Today I'm sharing the crime/drama/thriller:  Only God Forgives

All I knew about this movie before watching it was that it starred Ryan Gosling (um...yes please!) and was directed by the same guy (Nicolas Winding Refn) who did Drive.  I didn't know his name then, but I certainly do now!

Only God Forgives is colorful, violent, and dark with low dialogue and some really interesting/beautiful music throughout.  I will admit that this probably isn't the safest film for me to debut my "Movie Recommendation" feature considering it's an art-house film with generally low ratings, but it's the most recent film I've watched and really really loved.  It's definitely not your mainstream "let's go the the movies this Friday" film, so please...if you watch it...don't go into it with that mindset.  If, on the other hand, you're into films that are a bit...different, you may enjoy this one.


Plot Summary from IMDB:    
Bangkok. Ten years ago Julian killed a man and went on the run. Now he manages a Thai boxing club as a front for a drugs operation. Respected in the criminal underworld, deep inside, he feels empty. When Julian's brother murders an underage prostitute, the police call on retired cop Chang - the Angel of Vengeance. Chang allows the father to kill his daughter's murderer, then 'restores order' by chopping off the man's right hand. Julian's mother Crystal - the head of a powerful criminal organization - arrives in Bangkok to collect her son's body. She dispatches Julian to find his killers and 'raise hell'.

You can check out the trailer here.

If you watch it I'd love to hear what you thought about it!


 photo xoxomindi_zpse464302f.jpg

4 comments:

  1. The trailer for that sounds great. Plus I love Ryan Gosling, Drive is one of my fave movies. Thanks for the heads up:-) Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoyed Drive, I really think you'll like this one!

      Delete
  2. Man that Ryan Gosling is a hunk. I found this movie really odd. I loved the lighting and violence but the storyline lost me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storyline is definitely a bit odd...actually I'll admit it...it's VERY odd! :) I feel like I'm starting to gravitate to that sort of thing now I guess.

      Delete